Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week #7 Challenge - Fresh Produce

(So, I'm having some issues with my camera so the photos I took are not available.  If I can, I will post them later...otherwise I might need to get a new camera.)

Week #7 is over, but it's never too late to start, right?  I've decided to roll week seven's challenge in with week eight so I will finish both of them the end of next week.

It's that time of year again when my favorite fresh produce starts to decline in flavor and availability.  I love to shop for fresh produce in the peak of it's season.  Sure, you can find almost anything you'd like in the off-season, but is it really worth it?  A lot of times the prices go up for food that isn't so great.  So, I researched what kind of produce I should be buying in what season.  The greatest resource I found was the USDA.  They have a page full of information on produce that is available in every season, check it out HERE.

I do try my best to buy local produce when I can...or get it from my sister and her mother-in-law. :)  Obviously there isn't any fresh produce I can buy from the area in the winter.  So, I must succumb to buying from the local grocer.  If you are looking to purchase Minnesota grown foods all year, click here for your limitations.

So, I decided to plan a weeks menu using only the produce that is available now, no canned, dried, or otherwise preserved produce.  I will do my best to buy local, the farmers markets and produce stands are closed, but the local grocery stores carry locally grown as often as possible.  If it's not Minnesota grown, the odds are it came from somewhere in the Midwest.  Here are the five recipes I'm going to make:

Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana from Just A Pinch Recipes (this is a copycat recipe of my favorite soups from The Olive Garden, I found the original recipe HERE, but I made some changes)

Super Stuffed Baked Apples a la Mode from Rachel Ray

Fried Rice from Food on the Table

Mushroom Barley Soup from Real Simple Magazine

Pear Crisp from The Pioneer Woman

I am planning on sharing my step my step cooking process for each of these in the near future.  If you know me at all, the desert ones will be hilarious, because I do not bake.  Why?  It's too messy, too precise, and I'm not really one to eat sweets (I know, what kind of woman am I!?!?!).  I've decided I'm going to make these on days when I can share the sweets with some of my favorite people. :)  I haven't made any of these recipes before, so I will give you a review of them too as I make them.

Here's how my adventure in buying local, seasonal produce went:
(Here's where there were supposed to be photos.)

First, I took the recipes and made a detailed grocery list.  I HAVE to make a list or I find myself wandering the store picking up things that I don't need or shouldn't be eating or forget things completely.  I have the most self control when I have a meal plan and list.

I know the produce area is always right in front of the store, but I skipped that for now, I went and grabbed my "add-ins" (all the stuff I'm going to add to my produce to make it amazing). Then I retrieved the meats I'm going to need.  I have a handy cooler bag from Thirty-One (my sis sells it) that I bring into the store with me to put cold stuff in right away.  When I get to the check out I just put the whole bag on the counter.

My last stop was the best part, picking out the produce.  Most people say they hate picking out produce because they never really know what they are looking for, I love it!  Finding the perfect apple in a box full, or picking the best looking kale is like a game for me.  I'm not going to explain how to find the best fruits and vegetables, you can go to these helpful links to find more info:  Pick the Best Fruits, Pick the Best Vegetables

ALL DONE!  Now it's time to go home and start cooking.  The recipes I selected (except for the apples) are all freezer friendly too, so I will be able to enjoy leftovers from my fresh produce shopping adventure in the near future.  :)  Like I said earlier, I will share my cooking experience and reviews of each recipe in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment